Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Hair

My hair is falling out. Not a couple here and there in the shower but a handful each time I brush it. Not normal for me. I could not figure this out so I asked the Doctor.
The Doctor reminded me that during pregnancy most women have a wonderful shiny head of hair (gee doc, thanks for rubbing it in!), but as soon as they deliver they lose large amounts of hair for the next three months.
What happens is during pregnancy your hair goes into a "Resting" phase - more so than normal (since we all lose a few hairs each day). About 1/4 of your hair is resting while you are pregnant - as soon as you deliver all the resting hair falls out and new hair grows. BUT.....if you're taking that pesky "pregnancy" hormone HCG (the injectible one) then your body thinks you're pregnant throwing your hair into that resting phase, but then, if you're not pregnant and start your period two weeks later like I have been doing then your body releases all the resting hair! Let's do this process for a year like I have and no wonder my hair is falling out by the handfuls. Voila! The answer to my shedding.
So, I will either get pregnant and be done with this whole injectible hormone thing OR I will go bald in the process. Fantastic. Mike says he'll still love me, even bald.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought your hair was fabulous this morning, regardless.

Anonymous said...

Another way to look at it...the first few months of pregnancy are so tiring along with the last few so less hair means less time spent doing your hair and therefore, more time sleeping! So maybe your body has a very good plan in place!

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

Thanks Jody, I am very lucky to have lots and lots baby fine hair. So it seems I can spare to lose some.
After my sister read this post she conferred with my other sister and little did I know but both said they lost hair during their entire pregnancy's (oh great). So maybe I'm in for nine months of hair loss.
Kathy, I love your optomistic spin on this thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky and Mike,
Just finish reading your Blog..great that I can keep in touch with you and follow what your doing, with all my heart....wish you good karma and I will hope I will be a aunt in 9 months....Good luck and stay positive during this first period...Love Vera, the dutchies from Hollandland....

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

Thanks Vera, we are thrilled to have extra Karma all the way from Holland! Thanks for reading the blog. Miss you guys, tell the kids Hi for us.