Monday, June 22, 2009

Vindication

You know, living life as a fluffy girl is not the easiest thing. People are mean and say the most hurtful things. I've been fluffy since about the age of 12 (damn that puberty!), so I'm pretty used to the comments but every now and then I get one that really makes me stop and get upset.
I sometimes have flashbacks of dating boys who always said something to the effect of "If you were thin I'd marry you"....one guy once told me, "you're such a cool girl I could totally puke in front of you and not be embarrassed"..whatever. Then there is always the old women who shake their heads and say with sigh, "such a pretty face"...as if it was wasted on me and not a skinny girl with an ugly face. I think the worst however has to be the woman who had known me 10 minutes before she looked me up and down and matter of factly stated, "have you always been this fat and do you plan to remain this fat"?
It has always shocked me to hear this behavior and comments that comes from GROWN people. You would think they would know better, the whole "if you can't say something nice" lesson comes to mind.
I give children 5 and under a pass because they just say what they see and as a preschool teacher I hear from someone everyday, "Why are you fat and that teacher isn't?" It's not hateful its just a question to which I always answer, "some people are fat, and others aren't", and that is just the plain old truth!
So today....as I was coming out of an appointment a young teenager (I'm guessing about 12) IPOD in her ears and texting on her phone as I walked by said very loudly for all to hear, "Wow that lady is FAT!" now....I have heard this MANY times in my life but today was the first time I stopped, turned around, looked her dead in the eye and said .... "I'M 8 MONTHS PREGNANT!!", and stood there...until she said, "Oh sorry". Ah ha!!! The best part was the smack on the head given to her by her mother followed by the phrase "that will teach you to think before you say something".
Don't mess with the fat pregnant lady......you won't win. ;)

1 comment:

Sara said...

You go girl. I think you look great! Happy and happy, oh, and happy!