Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Breastfeeding 101

My doctor swore to me that if I didn't go to the breastfeeding class offered by Kaiser then I wouldn't be allowed to take my baby home. By the attendance in the class I doubt that's true, but Mike and I dutifully showed up last night anyway.
I have to admit I did wonder, how can "Put the baby on your boob and let them suck" could possibly fill up two hours, but it did!!
Each couple was given a fake baby the size of a newborn,but only half the weight. All it had on was a diaper. The 13 year old I took with me (that would be Mike), of course had to touch, maul and manhandle the poor baby to occupy himself while the instructor was talking. At one point I almost took the baby away from him because he was squeezing it's head in and out and making a large WHOOSH sound each time. Boys. But, to give Mike credit - he did sit through the entire 2 hour class without complaining, I think he only fell asleep once.
We did learn things like "Belly to Belly, Chest to Chest - nose then chin to the breast", I half expected Mike to walk around the house chanting this last night. Kind of catchy in it's own weird way.
While I didn't actually learn how to latch the baby on (although the instructor was very clear with her fake boobie and fake baby), you can't really know until you get the child going. We did learn lots of other fascinating breastfeeding facts like - Breast fed babies have an IQ 7-10 points higher (OK all you moms who bottle fed,I am just stating what I learned in class, please don't throw things at me), they have less chance of allergies and asthma and it helps the Mom have less chance of Type 2 diabetes (which is good for me since it runs in the family) and less chance of getting breast and ovarian cancer.
All good reasons, however she kept saying over and over give yourself chances, the first two weeks are hard. which leads me to believe that the first two weeks trying to breastfeed must be so bad that this is when everyone gives up and shoves a bottle in their mouth just for a few minutes of quiet.
I really really want to breastfeed - maybe then then boobies will come in? I thought they'd come in with the pregnancy, I'm still waiting. My main and very selfish reason is because it's free and formula is 25.00 a can! I'm pretty cheap, I bet I'll stick it out - I like free things.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Nursing came easy to me, but I know it can be difficult for some women, especially if they don't get the support they need, and get frustrated! Hopefully, it will go well for you, but if not, get help right away, even if that means calling a lactation consultant!

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

I'm hoping that since it came easy to you, and easy to Carole and since I am related to both of you then perhaps I will have the same Maguire luck!

Insane A said...

i breastfed both girls for at least 12 months but with Sana it was really hard at first. she wouldn't latch on properly and my nipples bled and hurt, it was pure torture. I think if she had been my first, I'd probably would have switched to the bottle right then and there but I knew from experience that I should give it time. And look at the results! Did I tell you Lulu's teacher (kingergarten) thinks Lulu should skip first grade next year? :) :) power to the breast...lol!

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

Go Lulu! Power to the breast (and maybe a little bit to that awesome preschool she attended! ;)

Kathy Prophete said...

Laughing so hard at your description of mike at class that I have tears rolling down my eyes. I agree to seek help from family, friends, lactation consultants, etc. It's worth it!