Tuesday, August 17, 2010

ZZZZZZzzzzzz

Today was Erik's one year check up. The Dr. was thrilled with his vocabulary, especially all his animal impersonations and when I said "what does a Dr. say?" he shook his head and little finger imitating the Dr. from the Monkey song (no more Monkey's jumping on the bed), he won her heart in that moment.

She said he was thriving and she had no worries about his development. So....for all of the people in the world who keep asking "is he walking yet?".......NOPE...and guess what? TOTALLY NORMAL!!! I'm beginning to get a complex about it because as soon as I say "not yet" I can hear the cluck clucking of the tongues.

I know most children walk around a year. But many do not because they are working on their cognitive skills (smarts) so, your child may be walking, but mine is busy reading books and growing his brain. They will all catch up and be on the same plane by kindergarten so everyone please chill out - he will walk, when he's ready to walk. I promise to notify you the second it happens.

He also had to have those one year shots. Mike bowed out of this appointment long ago since he did the last ones and said there was no way he was holding him through that again. I felt so bad for the little guy. Every time the lady came out to call another victim into the injection clinic Erik would blow her a kiss. Blow her a kiss!! He had no idea in a matter of moments she was going to cause him lots of pain.

And she did. There was lots of pain, tears and thrashing about. I hate that part of these check ups. Luckily he didn't cry for too long - but after the first shot in the leg he looked at me and signed "all done!!" with big tears in his eyes, and he was signing "all done" through the next two shots until I could tell him it was all done.

We spent all morning in the Dr.'s office so Erik missed his nap. He slept for ten minutes on the way home which energized him for the afternoon. 5:00pm hit and he was tired, so I decided to feed him dinner, and this is what happened.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Poor, poor, poor baby! What a smart little guy! I remember the first time my daughter fell asleep in her high chair--I called the nurse line, it worried me so much! I knew better the second time around....
Happy Birthday again, lil' Erik! (And you just go ahead and walk when you are good and ready!)