Saturday, August 21, 2010

Zoo

Erik is really into animals. Like really. I spend his waking hours making animal sounds. It's what makes him happy. It makes me want to pluck out my eyelashes....especially the Mooing. He can do most of the noises, and some of the signs that go with them. His favorite animals today are Roosters and Elephants (last week was Cows, he's an equal animal attention giver).
We thought it was now time for his first trip to the zoo.
Going to the zoo in San Francisco in the summer requires ski hats, coats and mittens. It's so very odd to live 50 miles down the road in the regular weather - but San Francisco is like going to the other side of the world - always the opposite season. So we bundled Erik up in his best winter clothes (I know! It's August!) and away we went!
Of course we stopped for the obligatory overpriced "entrance" pictures.


We headed out promising Elephants, Lions and Roosters....Oh My! We found the duck statue...which was cool. But still not a rooster. We did eventually find one weird looking rooster. But Erik was more interested in YELLING...... BAA!! at every four legged animal that walked by at the petting zoo.
We looked every where for the Elephants, finally I asked "Lion Security" ...The Lions have their own security to keep the idiots known as dumb people out of their cages. Lion security told me the elephants were dead....Dead? Yep, like they died a few YEARS ago! If you're the zoo....don't you try to replace the Elephants pretty quickly? I mean aren't they one of the main attractions? Seriously, it's like checking out what rides are closed at Disneyland before you go. If the good ones are closed, whats the point. Had I known there were no elephants we would have gone to another zoo. We went for the elephants!! I felt like there should be a sign on the entrance stating "No Elephants" ....at least save my feet from walking around and thinking...gee they've got to be here somewhere!!! He was very interested in this gorilla who sat stone still and looked pretty pissed off at having to sit on a rock while people looked at him. Erik kept growling at him, and then signing "sleep" I don't think he's as sweet as the little gorilla in Goodnight GorillaHe even went to bed in his "zoo animal" PJ's. All in all it was a fun trip to the zoo, disappointing in the Elephant category, but...fun!

No comments: