Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Parenting Choices

++WARNING++ Star Wars and small children rant....be warned!

I know better - TV is NOT good for children. I know this better than anyone, I have often wondered about parents who allow 2 year olds to watch Star Wars or Sponge Bob and then say to me, "I have no idea why my child wants to sword fight all the time, he's so aggressive", and when I ask what he does at home their answer is "watch Star Wars and play video games" (and we're not talking about Sesame Street games, they are usually watching Daddy play aggressive games)and they don't understand why their child is aggressive, I want to say "really? You don't see it"?

Now, will I allow my 2 year old son to watch Star Wars? Maybe...we'll see when the time comes, at this point I surely can't say no - I've gone back on a few "I'll never's" since giving birth. I promise however NOT to be shocked when my child, afterward he begins to act aggressively. I will expect that behavior and know that it is my karma for allowing him to watch it.

Anyway, the reason for the title of my post is because I have done what I used to call bad parenting.

I have put my child in front of the TV.

I swore I'd never do it. But, I need 1/2 hour every now and then to get something done!!!!!! 1/2 hour, a couple times a week is my limit, and I of course didn't choose Star Wars - I chose Yo Gabba Gabba (which is lots of colors, annoying singing and silly dancing) I allow Yo Gabba Gabba because my child adores it. How I found it I don't even know - just came across it one day and it put a spell on Erik.

I thought perhaps it was just the TV that was putting a spell on him so I tested him on other shows...he's completely uninterested in them. But, Yo Gabba Gabba - is my 1/2 hour savior - Thank you DJ Lance, Foofa, Brobee, Rex and Moono - Mommy appreciates the help - even if it does cause me to sing ..."Don't, don't, don't bite your friends" for the next three hours.

As you can see - Erik is completely hypnotized. I filmed him because he doesn't even move during this show - whatever position he's in when it comes on is where he stays till it's over. Silly boy!!! I'm sure there is Star Wars in my future....but until then I'll allow 1/2 hour every so often.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yep, I've had a couple of days singing "don't bit your friends" over and over myself. TV is a tool. Used wisely and conservatively (and with a sense of humor), it doesn't have to be the demon we assume it is. TV can be a friend to SANITY! (See my post, "Kipper".)

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

I completely agree - as long as it's used wisely and in moderation I think it can be a real learning tool. And allow Mom to make dinner