Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First day of Yoga


Today was my first day of Yoga (the required PE in order for me to graduate). Now, if you know me you know I am of the fluffy kind of people (extra fluffy) and I don't love PE classes....in fact I hate them.

I used to get up at 5:00am every morning to take my friend Steve's aerobics class - that went on for a couple years, and I HATE these classes because I can just feel the snickering behind me...but I was a good friend so I went. I was so happy when Steve stopped teaching those damn perky 5:00am classes.

But.....I avoided all the PE requirements in order to graduate which is why I am stuck with them now. Dammit - someone should have told me that they would have been much easier 20 years and 20 pounds ago, they probably did - I didn't listen because all I could envision was 6th grade gym coming back to haunt me.

I arrived with a few minutes to spare (can't be late because then I would be stuck in the front with the teacher and the mirrors!! (Horror) and noticed that I was the only person wearing work out clothes and everyone else was just all laid back and in loose stuff...I was also the only one in tennis shoes - Yoga is apparently done barefoot. I was reprimanded for wearing street shoes on the floor.

I was not the oldest in the class by far - but I was the biggest....ugh ugh ugh!!! We really didn't do much today but go over the syllabus and do some simple breathing and relaxation techniques. They weren't very relaxing since all I could think about was how much my back was hurting due to the cheap ass yoga mat I paid 9.00 for at Wal-Mart. They should have a sign on them that says "If you're an old fatty might want to get the extra thick pad!" I saw some girls with those (girls whose entire body was the size of my thigh) and I wanted to trade them SO bad. But they were too busy texting and giggling their way through class. I tried to give them some annoyed "have some respect" looks but they were too into themselves to notice.
Sheez kids these days! Now I sound like my father.

We did one exercise where we had to bring our knees to our chests and I've never had any problems doing that and was surprised when I went to do it and it didn't happen!! I then realized that I have had a child and my muscles that used to be are no longer, and they were not responding to the commands from my brain - they were obviously on a lunch break. I had to cheat and pull behind my knees to get them up there. And all the while trying to breathe.....yea

I will survive the class - but my ass hurts like hell right now so I'd better find me a thicker mat before the next class on Thursday.
To my Aunt Vera who teaches and loves her Yoga - I will try to like Yoga - I will at least try to breathe my way through it - and find my own personal zen. If I can figure out how to ignore all the pain it may cause.
NAMASTE

3 comments:

dutchess said...

Great story, but sounds like not a really good class...textmessaging!!!!not done, just focuse on the breathing, and get you grade.......hang in there...Namaste tooo

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

The teacher yelled at them a cople of times but they didn't care. She did say that if she catches phones on anyone they will have an absence for the day - 6 absences and no class credit. I see it everywhere, in the movies, driving (!) the ext messaging is too much. These kids can't even spell anymore because they do so much texting.....wow I'm really getting old - complaining about the kids these days!

Marnie said...

Becky, I just found your blog through Daneece's! I have loved reading about your life, although I'm so, so sorry about Mike losing his job! Your baby is adorable and so lucky to have you as a mom. My main memory of you is that you are so much fun. Anyway, I don't mean to get all sappy, but I'm excited to keep up with you. (I got your sweet comment on Facebook, but I just never log on there.) Good luck with the Yoga - I wish I had to take a PE class, just to get myself going!