Friday, October 30, 2009

First Trip to the BeachHouse!

The beach house has been in our family for years. My grandfather bought it long before I was thought of, when his children were very young as a place to get away from work. It is still a place to get away and I think almost everyone of his grandchildren have honeymooned in it, that's how much we love it. As a child with a summer birthday I had them all at the beach house. When my 2nd grade class was studying Tide Pools we took a field trip to the beach house to see them! It is my favorite place in the world and while we all must take turns and share it - when we do have the opportunity to use it, we are thrilled. Last week my Dad had his turn and since we weren't able to take our annual vacation to Oklahoma we quickly jumped on going to the beach house and joining him! It was very nice of him to share his time with us and give us a chance to introduce our favorite place to Erik.
We left on a Friday morning with Mike driving and me sitting in the back with Erik - on our way down south we stopped in Santa Cruz for a while so Erik could hang out with Mike's parents for an hour. Which was a good way to get out of the car seat and stretch before that very long drive ahead of us. Erik is in that adorable stage where he smiles at everyone so he was really charming Mike's folks!
After a fun filled visit off we went with me in the back (my new riding space) Erik asleep, and Mike driving. I decided this would be a good time to pump (the breast pump fits into the cigarette lighter..handy!) and assumed the back windows were tinted enough that no one would notice. I don't think anyone saw anything - but one truck driver with a load of strawberries looked awfully happy!! Oh well, they're just boobs.
We left our house at 7:30 and arrived at the beach around 4:00. This is usually a 5 hour trip for us so you can see that baby makes it a longer - but that's OK! We got in, unpacked and settled in to wait for Dad and Liz who were flying in the next day. This would be Mike's idea of settling in.
Mine is sitting outside, sipping a cool drink and looking at this.
We couldn't have asked for nicer weather - and as my cousin says " ANY day is a good day at the beach - no matter the weather!"
We waited and geared up for "Papa" to come and meet this little guy. I was wondering how Erik would take to him - he tends to scowl at strangers. I shouldn't have been worried. My father has now been proclaimed the "Baby Whisperer" Erik adored him - and I think he adored Erik! They were constantly together. I got up with him in the middle of the night....umm Dad I guess the Baby Whisperer is off the clock between 11:00pm and 10:00am? But other then that - wherever Papa was, there was Erik - he even preferred Papa to Mommy! But that's OK. I'm glad they were able to make such a good bond. WE also got to visit our friend Bonnie who is an amazing photographer and have our first family portraits taken! You can see them here. (click on View/Order and the password is Mooers). And we just had a lovely time! Here's a little video of Erik's first trip to the beach.
We had fun visiting my Great Grandmother - who turned 96 last month and doesn't seem a day older then when I was little. Every now and then she'll tell me her brain went away - but I couldn't tell, she was adorable as usual.....and as usual had all her make-up on and there she sat chatting away with us! We so enjoy the time we spend with her. I hope Erik gets to have many more visits with her, she is an incredible lady.
Mike had to return home early (thank goodness it's only 40 bucks on Southwest!) so he came home on Monday and Erik and I stayed for 5 more glorious days and then packed up and came home Friday morning. I was a little scared at how that trip would go with no one in the back seat - but after a stop at Target in some town called Atascadero, halfway home, we were equipped with all car related baby toys that sing, light up and entertain. I didn't hear a peep out of him after that! 50 bucks well spent! Don't tell Mike it was 50 bucks...it was less for him to FLY home...oops!
When we left the beach house I cried, not just a little tear goodbye cry but that ugly-can't catch your breath cry. It could have been a bit of the lingering baby blues - but I think more it was that my child absolutely adored his grandfather and it makes me sad that my family lives so far away and after visits like that I understand really how important family is.
So...Erik and I made it home on Friday.....Saturday as I was sitting at the computer listening to the horrendous music coming from the very loud party next door I see a car pull into my driveway and I get ready to give the "you can't park in my driveway" speech when I look closer and it's my DAD!! He missed Erik too - Liz said he was moping around the beach house after we left so they came up to visit me. They stayed until Tuesday and we had a lovely (albeit cramped time in my teeny house) visit. We did San Fransisco and Shopping and just enjoyed each other's company even more.
We also got sick...very sick. Some horrible head cold, brain busting. sniffling, sickness. I thought my head might split in two yesterday. Oh and this morning I woke up with pink eye - in BOTH eyes! Now I am paranoid I am going to give it to the baby. I did take him to the Dr. for his sniffles and got a look like "really?" for the sniffles? She told me to suck out his nose....oh and he weighs 17.5 pounds now! Although I took this picture yesterday - same day we went to the Dr., this is what the Dr. saw - He sure made a liar out of me! Not looking sick at all! Tomorrow is Halloween! I wonder what tricks and treats it will bring....I'll post pictures of the "official" Halloween costume....oh no you haven't seen it yet!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Gosh, those are great photos that Bonnie took. You all look REALLY good!