Thursday, October 15, 2009

OW!



Yesterday Erik had to have his 2 month shots. We've already lived through the nightmare of no insurance for this little guy so we have finally squared that away. I don't want to start the whole 'to immunize or not' debate with anyone - but IN MY OPINION I think there just might be something with those shots, combined with our environment and a child's genetic make up that just sometimes doesn't all mesh together so we had chosen no immunizations in the hospital. My grandfather who was a Dr. had always told my mother that an infant has enough stuff to deal with without adding more medications to their body. He told her not to do anything until the kids were at least 2 months old so I took that same advice. He now has his newborn shots and we will get the others in small doses as we go along. I'm not doing 6 shots in one visit. However, that was a horrible thing to go through! I've heard so many mothers say how awful it is - but I always thought - ya ya it's a shot - they cry for a second and it's over. I wasn't prepared for HOW they cry. I was holding Erik when she stuck him - and the cry of pain he let out was something I have never heard from him. That cry combined with the look of complete shock at me that I had allowed this to happen to him really tore me up. I cried right along with him. I almost took him out then, but he still had two more to go! We got through it - but it was awful. I told Mike he had to do the next set when he quickly reminded me that he held him during the circumcision - so I guess we're even.

I was concerned about fever and grumpiness especially because I had to go to school last night and take a midterm and he had to spend his first ever night with a babysitter (which was my dear friend Diana who he knows). I had told her before I left how much he likes the ugly ass 70's wallpaper in the bathroom and if he was sad just take him in there. She called it is "happy place" and after seeing his reaction to the wallpaper she said it was like Quaalude for babies......it really does make him just as happy as can be. The nights Mike has to babysit I think they may spend lots of time here.

Nana has gone to OKC to visit the other grandkids - he misses her. He's funny when I ask him "Where's Nana?" he does a big smile and a squeal. We get to go to the beach house this week and meet Grandpa (my dad) for the first time. I hope he's as happy for him.
Here's a picture of what we do to make this child sleep. He likes to feel 'closed in' so we have to roll up blankets, cover them with his silkies and then put them around him so he can feel them. I know I know 'nothing in the crib!" Believe me I know, I've been preaching it to other parents for years. However - my tune has changed. but, I promise the send he is asleep we remove EVERYTHING and then he's fine.

Oh - I'm typing this at 4:00am. He fell asleep at 8:30 last night and slept for 6 hours....yea, you do the math. He was up at 2:30. Mommy didn't go to bed however until 11:30! So while he has 6 hours of sleep (and is happily cooing beside me) I got 3......and here I am. Oh well.

2 comments:

Becky and Mike Mooers said...

I meant to say "as soon as he's asleep"....again 3 hours of sleep

mamademuchos said...

I am so sorry for you, and Erick. It is so hard to see these little guys suffer.