Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Baby Insurance


I am slowly getting a handle on all things baby. When you are trying to actually get pregnant you're just consumed with getting pregnant, it's not until much later in the pregnancy did it hit me that this kid is going to need insurance. After finding out from HR at my work that to add the baby to my plan would be $488.00 per month I about fainted, that's more than a car payment!! Of course this all comes about a few days after Mike and I watched "sicko", I'm seriously considering moving to Canada just for the health care.
After consulting Mike's work (at $288.00 - getting better!) we have settled on a "baby only" plan for $114.00 a month which perfectly equates to the difference on the paycheck by adding 1 to the W-2.
It really makes me think that there are things in this country that everyone should have equal access to, no matter your income; health care and good education (including preschool for all) are what comes immediately to mind.
And here we go......into the world of taking care of someone else. This is why all those expensive hobbies of life (Golf, Sweet Adelines, and travel) are full of the child free grown ups who find their wallets increasing as children leave the nest. I wonder how my parents raised so many?? I vow to continue my education because at this rate I will need a Doctorate just to pay for everyones insurance!!

No comments: