Sunday, November 22, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

Schools out for a month and this little guy will soon be starting to eat solids and after pricing a jar of baby food (seriously some are a buck a piece!) I thought it would be better to make them homemade. I was prepared for a huge mess (like when I got a wild hair 2 summers ago to can tomato's and green beans.....there is a reason people don't can anymore, it's a real pain in the ass and SO much work!), luckily this was nothing like that experiment.
I cooked a big bag of Costco carrots - put them in the food processor with a little water and then filled up ice cube trays with little individual portions - voila! Instant baby food! This morning I popped all the carrots into one gigantic Ziploc and tossed them in the freezer - today - Apples and butternut squash. Mike and I did the math this morning and we got 28 servings of baby carrots for the $1.15 I paid for them......28 little ice cube things and I think 2 are equal to one jar of baby food. SO, 14 jars of baby food for 1.15 - that works for me! And it really was no big deal to do it.
I have to be this thrifty if I want to keep my awesome new van! I love it - but it does use more gas than my other car so we are cutting all the corners. But I do feel better knowing my baby will eat organic baby food and I know everything that went into it!
He's slept through the night (well 8-4am - nothing like getting up at 4:00am on the weekend!) for 2 days in a row!
Here's Erik and his Papa chatting

2 comments:

Sara said...

I agree, making your own baby food is easy and cheap!

Sara said...

Oh, stay away from broccoli, unless you want to be up all night with a fussy (gassy) baby! (At least that's how it was with my son!)