Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things I wish I'd known

This whole parenthood thing has really thrown me for a loop some days! Here's a list of some of the things I wish I'd known (or thought about) going into this whole thing. I'm not complaining at all - we worked for YEARS to get this baby so I am no way going to complain...just a few observations.
1-Baby's have LOTS of stuff! Who knew that three week in my living room would have 3 pieces of adult furniture and 5 pieces for one little infant!
2- Along with the stuff goes carrying a diaper bag. I didn't think to "re-pack" it yesterday as we headed to the Dr. (I don't re-pack my purse every time I leave the house) but my mother loudly reminded me that I have to replenish it each time I come home.....never even crossed my mind, DUH!
3-I spend the day with my boobs attached to a pump. And when I'm not attached to a pump I am feeding my child with the product of the pump! And....I'm still waiting for the big boobs - I just must not be meant for them, they have milk, they produce well - they are still itty bitty - WHY?
4-My idea if a blissful maternity leave went out the window about my third day home when I realized that I can and can not do things depending on the sleep schedule of this baby.
5-My husband surprises me at how well he has stepped up - when I call him - yes I call him, on the phone at 3:00am since I'm in the living room and he's in the bedroom - he never minds he jumps right up to get a bottle or help me out. I didn't expect that - and it is a lovely pleasant surprise.
6- I miss the daily schedule of working, getting up at the same time doing the same things each day - I find this maternity leave so unpredictable - and I'm working on my flexibility!
7-I can't believe disability has taken SO long to kick in, I eventually have to pay the rent and it makes me angry that while I got the paperwork in well in advance they still haven't done their part.
8-There is only CRAP on TV in the middle of the day
9-I can't put my child down - he's too beautiful and I just want to hold him. Besides it's easier to check if he's sleeping when he's laying on me- and I just can't see him in the crib. I have become the parent that over indulges her child. My friend Christine once told me that "what works at school doesn't count at home" and then as her child was doing something she didn't like she looked at me and said "see....do NOT judge me". I completely understand that right now. I can tell discipline might be much harder than I anticipate because he's so dang cute!
10-It didn't occur to me that what I ate would affect him, I was eating bean burritos everyday for lunch.....guess what, he had horrible gas and I couldn't figure out why - oh, wait.....what I ate!! Dang - I love bean burritos!
11-I was a person who could not sleep with lights on. Last night I slept with the light on right next to me head - and it didn't bother me at all.
Each day with this child is a blessing, and a learning experience! I'm now trying to figure out how to get out the door early tomorrow morning, we haven't done that before and I fear my own meltdown coming on since I'm someone who can't stand to be late.
OK - I have to go - the boobies are calling.

No comments: