Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Wave



We have officially made it into the 2nd trimester and things are going great! We had our first trimester screening test yesterday which screened for our chances of a Down's or Trisomy baby. Before the test my chances were 1 in 99 for a Down's based on my age - and my chances for a Trisomy were 1 in 1,000. After the test (the Doctor has to measure the fat on the back of the baby's neck, compare it with my age and blood sample and the numbers are now a 1 in 300 chance for Down's and a 1 in 3,000 chance for Trisomy. She said it wasn't a guarantee but it looked normal to her. My pregnancy age went from 40 to 35 after the tests...so that was good!

The worst part was when you're a thick girl it's hard to get that ultrasound through the fat enough to see the baby so they have to push REALLY hard.....it still hurts today, but the mortifying part is that I had to reach down, grab my belly and LIFT it up so the Dr. could put the ultrasound under it. This test was an hour long and I had to hold my belly up forever!! The whole time I kept thinking - I am NEVER doing this again - this belly has to go away. Mike, however, sweet man that he is offered to hold the belly (it seems to be it's own entity) when my arms got tired. Super sweet .... and never gonna happen...but thanks honey!

No comments: