Monday, June 6, 2011

22 Months

Erik is 22 months old today.........I know what your thinking, is he walking??  NO!!!  Seriously, why won't this kid walk?  There is a piece of me that's concerned, and another piece that sees the progress (he's cruising and walking holding onto furniture) he's made and knows.. (I know in my child development loving soul!) that he is fine...he's just a really really late walker.

I'm telling myself it's because he's working on his cognitive skills....which are seriously freaking me out.  Tonight I was giving him a bath and he starting telling me what the letters stand for.  I grabbed the camera, I had no idea he knew that stuff!  You would think I was using flashcards, or that damn..."Your baby can read!" program. I'm SO far from that...we read books LOTS and LOTS of books.  And that's it.  How does he figure this stuff out?

See for yourself, oh and please excuse the "penis and balls" section in the middle, his Nana taught him that, we probably don't help by laughing at it when he says it.  It takes a minute to get into and he misses a few letters, but I didn't know he could do that at all!




Being the teacher I am I was adamant that we start a goodnight routine from very early on, it started with two songs and a chat about the day and morphed into 10 songs, a sippy cup and some cuddles in bed, it went from 5 minutes to 20.  SO much for sticking to the routine.  Mike and Erik have a little routine as well, they say goodnight to many pictures in the house each night.  Since Erik's cousins all live in Oklahoma we want him to know them so we keep their pictures up everywhere.  And we say good night to them each night.  This little video shows that routine, it also shows what a huge klutz (Maguire curse) I am, halfway through the video I knock over a lamp....remember that swimming video where I fell during Erik's swim lessons? I obviously can't walk and film at the same time.



This 22 month old is hoot (and heavy as hell...come on Dude, WALK!) once we started our snuggling when I stopped filming he gave lots of kisses, and then patted my belly, laid his head on it and said..."Mama Bubble Belly.....aaahhhh".  
Well, kids are nothing if not honest!
Till next month,  when Erik WILL be walking, if I have to tie strings to his limbs and turn him into a marionette!

1 comment:

girliemakeuplover said...

ok...i have to say Erik is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!! omg Becky he is soooo smart! I am in awe of the fact that he can associate letters with words so young! and the penis and balls thing CRACKED me up...wish i could do it all over with my boys!! you are such a GREAT MOM!!!