Monday, January 25, 2010

It's all about the boobies!

My boobs rule my life, and I'm not even physically breastfeeding, I'm pumping, but geeez it's all freaking day!  I plan my life in 3 hour increments, can I get that done before I need to pump?  Can I run that errand?  Go to that meeting?  It never seems to work out and I end up pumping after two hours and then waiting six and I always, always have the exact same amout.  I could pump 7 times a day, or two and I would still get the same, with or without supplements, with or without water, with or without standing on my head. 
I think I'm getting very close to being over the whole breastfeeding thing.  I've done almost 6 months.  I could probably do 9 but I doubt I will make it much longer before going completely out of my mind.  But, I keep it up because it's so good for him.  Seriously it's like baby drugs - he'll tolorate a formula bottle (kind of like I tolorate a Diet Pepsi but my drug of choice is always a Diet Coke, it makes me much happier than a Pepsi ever will), but if you could see the smile on his face and the way his eyes roll back in his head when he realizes the bottle is boobie juice you would know why I keep going.  It gives him joy - and that's what being a mom is all about. Giving them joy.
I had my first Mom ER experience last night.  Erik has been pretty sick and was having some trouble breathing so we took him to the ER because he was screaming and we had to do something.  * On a littke side note, I've been singing to this kid since before he was born and as soon as he was born I would sing "You are My sunshine" to him, after I was out of my mind singing that over and over to him I added in "Sing, Sing a song" to the repotoire and I'm sure I'll add in more as time goes along.  As we were driving to the hospital last night the Sing song came on  (Kristin Chenowyth version - who else?) and I didn't realize until it was over that he was listening to it.  When the next song began he freaked out and started crying and Mike is yelling from the backseat, put the song on again, put it on repeat!  As soon as I did that Erik was great and went right to sleep.  Amazing, how much he really connects with certain songs, we were floored that at 5 months he knew that was his song. 
Back to the ER - of course we get there and he is CHARMING, laughing, smiling, cooing at the Dr. and I feel like an idiot because "I swear Doc he was sick when we got here".  I was vindicated though when the Doctor came to listen to him - he projectile vomited ALL over me, none on him, or anyone else - just me - covered in vomit and you know what?  I so didn't care.  If any other kid would have done that I would have been grossed out.  I had to sit in that vomit covered shirt for a couple more hours and I was happy to do it if Erik would feel better.  Thankfully he's doing much better today.  I know I've said it before but I will take all the lows of parenthood including the vomit and poop for sweet baby giggles and kisses any day. 
School has started once again (did I mention I have to pump every time I turn around?  Impossible with school!), and since this is my last semester I am now stuck with all the crap classses I have avoided this whole time.  That means biology (and the lab), and PE classes.  Why the PE?  Serisously?  Don't they know how humiliating it is for a fat girl to go to a PE class?  I hated it at 12 and it hasn't gotten any better at 40.  I have to take Yoga (also called "Gentle Restorative Excersise" - we'll see) and Stretch and Flex, which ironically is on the TV.  I have to show up for the Yoga class, Biology and it's lab are online, I get to do experiments with cabbage in my kitchen.....yippee.
Now, if I can figure out how to take yoga and not have my boobs leak during the downward dog I'll be OK.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so glad little Erik is OK. It is always better to err on the side of caution with little ones, I think! Well done, mama!

mamademuchos said...

You so crack me up. I think you are amazing for doing the pumping thing for so long. I had to do it once for about a month and I never had the patience to sit and do it. You're awesome.