Sunday, January 8, 2012

29 months

29 months.....unbelievable, how did he get to be 29 months, and how the hell is he STILL not walking!!

He starts school in 3 weeks. I guess he'll have to crawl his way through it.

He's been having PT every week for a month now.  His therapist is named Amy and she's a very tiny Japanese lady, so now every small Asian woman we see he yells "There's my Amy!"  She makes him bend and push and stoop, and try to walk.
Today she worked with him for almost 2 hours. He walks fine when he's distracted and not thinking about what he's doing.  The hard part is distracting him enough that he forgets he "can't" walk. As soon as he realizes he's walking (or standing without leaning on something) he falls down.  It's so frustrating to watch, knowing he can do it, if he'd try.
Amy thinks that because he's so smart that he knows he's not good at walking and doesn't have the confidence in it, so he chooses not to do it.  Who chooses not to walk when they physically can?  What two year old BOY chooses not to walk? We are all baffled.  All we can do is keep pushing him and making him do it.  We no longer carry him anywhere, we hold his hands and walk and stop every other second so he can find his balance, we move very very slowly. 
In all other aspects he pretty dang smart, and pretty adorable.  Tonight we had this conversation
Me: What kind of music do you like?
Erik: Punk, I'm easy Dude!
Me: Anything else?
Erik: Rock and Roll! I TOTALLY ROCK!
Me: What about barbershop?
Erik: Oh, No thank you.

He keeps me in stitches. 
He freaks Mike out with his interesting requests, lately he wants a purse and a doll house.  Luckily a little friend of his gave him a doll house that I was saving in the garage, I brought it in and he puts all his animals in it and the zoo keeper on the toilet.  He also has a purse, a little leather pouch that he looks for when it's time to leave the house.  There is nothing in it, but he's copying Mommy.
I bought him a doll about a year ago.  I don't care what any Dad says, all little boys need a doll.  It teaches them a thousand things, but the one I like best is they learn how to be daddies.  Mike has always doubted that, until I captured this tonight. 
The other day at the zoo I saw a father with two young boys (maybe 3-5) and one little boy had a doll, in a front carrier and was giving it a bottle....and his father and brother were so very OK with it that I wanted to thank them for allowing this boy to have a doll!
Boys need a doll.................and girls need some cars!
Blogger's not letting me embed video's anymore, so here's a link to my YouTube channel.
http://youtu.be/8UkkghqJ-bE

1 comment:

Sara said...

Yes, every boy needs a doll. My son plays with his on occasion. But what he really likes is the Ken doll he got for Christmas. He likes playing Barbies with his sister!