Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Charts!

When you are trying to get pregnant you have to chart....EVERYTHING! Your temperature the second you wake up, medicines that you've taken, everytime you try to make a baby, and other unmentionables.

I have been taking my temperature everyday for THREE YEARS!!! ugh....I hate having to wake up at the same time each day just to make sure my temp is where it should be. Then I have to remember after I fall back asleep to chart it when I'm at the computer. I use fertilityfriend.com. It really is a great website if you need to chart this kind of stuff.

This week we are attempting our third IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemination). We had two failed attempts, so we switched from Clomid to Femera (I call these meds the "egg patrol", it's their job to find 'em and round 'em up to get ready to be fertilized), Femera is stronger with less side effects (yeah right!).

Yesterday I went in to see how many eggs were ready for fun! Only one....but one's really all you need right? It's at 17mm (did you know they measure them?) which means I get Mom to give me the shot to release it tonight and it should begin it's journey about 11:00am on Monday where it will hopefully be fertilized during our IUI at 11:30.

The nurse from the clinic just called to remind me of my appointment on Monday and to let me know that the cost has gone up another $65.00 just so I wouldn't be surprised. Fertility treatments are expensive! It amazes me that others get pregnant for free, yet for me to be a parent we shell out about $400.00 per cycle for the chance that it might happen. The medicine is $50.00 for 5 pills, the ultrasounds are $100.00 each (you need two) and then the proceedure is $150.00.

I do feel grateful that we are able to at least go this far in fertility, the next step is in-vitro, at $12,000 per cycle that's never gonna happen. I don't have $12,000 extra laying around. There is IUI with the help of injectible medications (only $50.00 per shot and you need 10) and you need more ultrasounds so that special IUI is about 1200.00 per cycle. We'll try that in August. We get one shot a year at that one because it is so costly.

Maybe we should take $5.00 a day and play the lottery!!!

No comments: